One of the common forms of many drugs are suppositories. They are administered to patients by the rectal or vaginal route, which is considered quite convenient in itself. In addition, there are a number of advantages that are taken into account when prescribing suppositories. In the treatment of urological diseases, in particular, cystitis, experts prefer this particular form of medication. What are the advantages, and are there any disadvantages of rectal suppositories? Before understanding the principle of treatment with suppositories, it is necessary to understand what the features of the disease are.
Cystitis and its treatment
In medicine, the term "cystitis" means several types of urological pathologies, in which an inflammatory lesion of the mucous membrane of the bladder occurs. Due to the peculiarities of the anatomical structure of the body, women are more likely than men to suffer from this disease. The activity of this organ is associated with all physiological systems, therefore, functional disorders are reflected, first of all, in the state of the female urogenital sphere.
Signs of the disease and causes
The most common cause of cystitis are infectious agents. This is due to the proximity of the vagina and anus, as well as the short length and wide lumen of the urethral canal. The disease that develops in women rarely occurs in isolation, most often it is combined.
The most common causes of inflammation are:
- The penetration of an infectious pathogen, which can be Escherichia coli, staphylococcus, Proteus or Klebsiella.
- Exposure to specific agents - viruses, fungi, mycoplasmas, chlamydia, Trichomonas.
- Taking certain medications.
- Allergic reactions.
- Inflammatory processes in the pelvic organs.
The provoking factors are:
- endocrine disorders;
- frequent change of sexual partners;
- wearing tight underwear;
- neglect of the rules of personal hygiene.
Regardless of the causes, cystitis has a characteristic symptomatic complex:
- Frequent urination, accompanied by burning, drawing pain in the urethra and bladder.
- False urge to empty, their increase at night.
- Pain in the perineum and pubic region, often radiating to the lumbosacral region.
- The excretion of urine in small portions, and it is dark in color, cloudy in nature and often contains impurities of pus or blood.
- Urinary incontinence (in rare cases).
- Signs of general intoxication are headaches, nausea, up to vomiting, weakness, apathy.
Applied dosage forms
In modern conditions, with timely therapy and the use of effective medications, a quick cure for cystitis and complete recovery of the bladder mucosa is possible after 7-12 days.
The choice of dosage form is determined by the severity of the disease, the age and sex of the patient, the presence of concomitant pathologies or pregnancy.
If the manifestations of the disease are severe enough, and there is a need to take urgent measures, then the doctor prescribes intramuscular injections or injection into a vein. For these purposes, solutions in ampoules or vials are used.
If the clinical picture is moderate, capsules or coated tablets are suitable to prevent damage to the intestinal mucosa.
Gels, pastes, ointment forms are recommended for local use. They are inserted into the vagina with a swab if the patient is female, or rectally if the patient is male.
In the treatment of inflammation of the bladder, specialists can prescribe various forms that are compatible with each other. This increases the therapeutic effect and speeds up recovery.
The use of suppositories for cystitis
Very often, the doctor prescribes rectal suppositories in the treatment regimen for cystitis. They are divided into several types and in most cases are relevant for infectious and inflammatory diseases of the genitourinary system, severe pain, as well as a general weakening of the immune defense.
Only a doctor can choose the best option, depending on the type of pathogen and the severity of symptoms.
Indications for cystitis
Rectal suppositories are prescribed mainly for men, boys, girls. Women are more suitable for vaginal suppositories. Preparations in this form help eliminate sources of pathogenic microflora, infections in the external genital organs (in women), and reduce pain.
In the instructions for use, the list of indications, in addition to cystitis, includes diseases such as:
- urethritis male and female;
- thrush and vaginosis;
- sexual infections caused by gonococci, chlamydia, ureaplasma, treponema, Trichomonas.
Pros and cons of the dosage form
Rectal suppositories are medicines, so only a doctor should deal with their appointment. The feasibility of using it for cystitis is determined by him on the basis of the existing advantages:
- Compact dosage form.
- Simplicity and painlessness of introduction. Ability to use independently at home.
- Candles do not irritate the organs of the digestive system. The active substances enter the focus of inflammation, bypassing the gastrointestinal tract.
- Fast action. In terms of absorption rate, suppositories are equivalent to intravenous injections.
- maximum bioavailability. The active substance is delivered unchanged, since it is not exposed to hydrochloric acid.
- Reducing the risk of developing allergic reactions to the administered drug.
- Possibility of combination with preparations having organoleptic properties.
- Indispensable for toxicosis of pregnant women, as well as violations of the processes of swallowing and absorption.
- No or minimal manifestation of side effects.
- Therapeutic effects on the digestive, reproductive and urinary systems.
Despite the huge advantages, rectal suppositories have a number of disadvantages:
- inconvenience of use, especially during working hours;
- instability of the composition, which reduces the shelf life of the product;
- obligatory observance of storage conditions;
- manufacturing complexity.
General recommendations for use
Despite the convenience and compactness of the form, candles have a therapeutic effect only if they are used correctly.
To do this, you must study the instructions and follow the procedure in accordance with the general rules:
- Rectal administration provides for preliminary emptying of the intestine.
- Vaginal use is indicated only after washing or douching.
- Hands should be washed thoroughly with cool water and a suitable product (soap, gel).
- Open the package, take the candle and insert it to a depth approximately equal to the length of your own finger.
- After the introduction, it is necessary to spend half an hour in a supine position so that the medicine is absorbed.
- When used in children, the buttocks must be closed after insertion and held for 10 minutes.
In order for the candles to retain their therapeutic effect for a longer time, it is necessary to store them correctly. The optimum temperature is considered to be no higher than + 20 ° C, and the place for their maintenance is dry and dark. If the recommendations are followed, the shelf life is usually 2 years.
List of recommended drugs
For the use of suppositories for cystitis in women and men, a list can be compiled on the basis of drugs that are often indicated in the treatment of inflammation of the bladder.
The general list includes suppositories with opium alkaloid (an isoquinoline derivative), pipemidic acid and chloramphenicol, as well as high estrogen preparations prescribed for menopause. All of them have an affordable price and are sold in pharmacies.
Representatives and their detailed description
Antibacterial drugs are prescribed if the causative agent of the infection is Escherichia coli or staphylococcus aureus. The most popular among this group are suppositories used for cystitis in women and men, whose names may be familiar to many.
Suppositories containing chlorhexidine bigluconate. This component has the ability to destroy the cell membrane of various pathogens, which invariably leads to their destruction.
Candles are used for cystitis, they are also intended for the treatment of other pathologies, such as:
- vaginitis of various etiologies;
- inflammation of the cervix;
Course application with daily two-time use is a week.
The combined antibacterial agent (aminoglycoside + polyene + cyclic polypeptide) belongs to the category of expensive drugs. It is prescribed in case of acute course of primary cystitis or in case of recurrence of its chronic form.
Use is prohibited during pregnancy, breastfeeding, menstruation. The duration of therapy is 10 days.
A broad-spectrum drug containing a complex of iodine with polyvinylpyrrolidone. Suppresses reproduction of viruses, fungi, pathogenic bacteria. It helps to eliminate symptoms such as burning and itching, the constant companions of cystitis. It is used in the treatment of many sexually transmitted infections (trichomoniasis, mycoplasma, herpes, vaginosis). Treatment is shown daily for 2 weeks.
It is a representative of the group of NSAIDs (derivative of phenylacetic acid). The drug has a good analgesic and anti-inflammatory effect. The maximum concentration in the blood after penetration reaches 30 minutes later. With cystitis, use is indicated in the morning and evening for a week at a dosage of 1 suppository per day. It is not prescribed during pregnancy and lactation.
Drug with interferon alfa-2b. It is prescribed as a means to strengthen the immune system. It has a combined effect and is used in the treatment of many urogenital pathologies. The drug is safe for children and can be used as an analgesic.
Polyene antifungal antibiotic. An effective medication used for inflammatory pathologies of the genitourinary system. It helps to relieve symptoms and make you feel better.
The best candles for cystitis, according to doctors and patients
Reviews about the use of suppositories in the treatment of cystitis are diverse. This is due to the effectiveness of the selection of one or another remedy, taking into account the cause of the disease and the severity of the course. The best are inexpensive, but effective medicines that show a minimum of side effects and have a therapeutic effect in a relatively short time.
The relevance of suppositories in the treatment of other urological diseases
Diseases of a urological nature in women, men, children and the elderly have their own distinctive qualities, due to anatomical, physiological and age characteristics. Male pathologies are considered - balanoposthitis, epididymitis, prostatitis, prostate adenoma. It is customary to attribute cystitis, urethritis, STIs to female ailments. The decision on the advisability of using suppositories in the treatment of a particular disease is made by the doctor based on the symptoms, clinical course, the presence of complications, as well as the individual characteristics of the patient's body.
The treatment of such an unpleasant condition as inflammation of the mucous membranes of the bladder should be approached with special attention and try to follow all the instructions of the attending physician. Otherwise, the patient will feel all the "charms" of the symptoms and endanger the condition and functioning of all organs of the genitourinary system.
Any even mild dysuric manifestations should be the reason for contacting a medical institution in order to diagnose, identify the cause of the pathology and carry out therapeutic measures.